I'm just waiting for the bottom to fall out...
We made it through the 4 day week still without serious incident. My kids are chill, doing what they're supposed to do for the most part and keeping calm. I'm not sure what to do with them! The biggest talking point is my huge class...currently 52 on roll. So far 42 of them have actually attended at least one day of class, so we'll see how that works out. On Friday there were 33 of them there...it was a bit chaotic in class, especially since we were doing a hands-on activity and they were out of their chairs. But we managed and nothing bad happened. In sharp contrast was my 9th period class, where 8 kids showed up. One of them was a hall-wanderer who decided he was going to sleep. I woke him up once, then I just went over and told him to either wake up and participate or go home because he wasn't going to take up space in my classroom. He stood up, and on the way out the door I told him to come back when he was ready for an education. I wonder if I'll be seeing him again...
On Thursday I went upstairs to take care of something in Mrs. Stokes office when Michelle came in upset and asked me to go sit with her class. 15 minutes with the 11th graders (who were my kids last year) and my blood pressure was elevated to dangerous levels. I had an argument with Shakari (said Sha-ky-ra) about her cell phone, where she asserted that just because they weren't allowed to have them didn't mean they weren't allowed to use them and that adults should just mind their business. I was about ready to take off my shoe and smack her in the back of the head with it. When Ms. Bruce came in to take over the class, I gladly left. I walked down to the "teachers' lounge" with Michelle, and we were still talking when the bell rang to start 5th period, my huge class. I was terrified, thinking they were going to be in there all crazy...but when I got there, it was really quiet, they were all sitting down, and they were all working. I was beside myself. I really can't figure out what to do when they're all behaving like that! I'm sure it's going to change, but until then, I'm going to enjoy it...
We did have our first 10th grade fight that day, though. I was coming around the corner during 8th period when I heard some commotion. By the time I got there one of my best girls was being walked down the hall by a teacher saying "I don't know what happened, she just started hitting me..." So I walked down the hall to find out what happened, and Ms. Watkins said "Mr. Brown has Sapphire in here," which I took to mean that he was having a conversation with her about what happened. Nope, he had her pinned by both arms against the blackboard while she screamed "It's not over!!!," hair falling out and everything. It was a happy moment for me.
Other than that...parent/teacher night, where I got to meet the parents of 4 great kids and the one whose cell phone I confiscated and subsequently answered. He didn't show up to class the next day. The second year teaching is pretty exciting...so much better than the first (at least so far). I've got a busy week ahead of me, but I can do it.
This weekend was fun too. We went out for italian food and dessert (at two separate restaurants) with some of Matt's friends on Friday, where I made the wrong decision twice and envied Matt's choices. Saturday found us at the eye doctor with Matt helping me pick out glasses...a job for which he was fairly useless, and I finally had to ask an old guy passing by which ones to get. After that we walked from our house down to this amazing bead store where I acquired the makings of several fabulous pieces of jewelry. Then we played Settlers with Tim and Justine...I lost because I was busy making jewelry. We then walked (I LOVE living in the city) to The Helmund for a late dinner with the rest of the gang (Afghanni food, delish), and then to XS for some tasty dessert (divine carrot cake. Or, as the sign at the grocery store today said, carrette cake...?). Today there was a flea market/festival thingy across the street in our park, so we walked over to have a look. The delicious hot dog was the best thing to come of that. Then Carla and I went on a surprise field trip back to Beadazzled, where we spent over an hour and lots of money...then came back here and spent the afternoon beefing up our jewelry wardrobe. Magnifique. Tomorrow it's kiddies again...but Tuesday is election day, which means no school! This is the life....
Sunday, September 10, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment