Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Events to Remember

I think I'll just hit the highlights here, as these last two weeks have been inordinately busy.

We ended up with another snow day the day after Valentine's Day, and a delay day on Friday. I spent the day teaching my kids to play Set...and always, it was a blast. I was obviously well-rested for my romantic Valentine's Day/President's Day Weekend trip with Matt. We stayed at a B&B in Princess Anne,
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
and on Saturday went and walked on the boardwalk in Ocean City (yes, it was really cold, I had to buy a hat and gloves),
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
had lunch at a cute Alice in Wonderland themed diner called The Mad Hatter's (where I had a mushroom sandwich...those of you who know me well will understand how delicious this was), and then went to Assateague to see wild ponies.
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
I was a bit disappointed by this island because the ponies are not exactly wild, having been placed on the island in Colonial days, but they were ponies all the same. I was also disappointed because we didn't get to see much of the island becuase it was a $10 fee and we had no cash. We did go down and walk on the beach a bit, where I may have been single-handedly responsible for the starvation of a sea gull. It had scooped up a mussel and dropped it in the wind, and I picked it up, examined it, and threw it back in to the water, assuming it had been abandoned. However, the stupid bird just made a circle and then came back looking for its dinner, and was rather confused when it realized it was gone. I felt endlessly guilty. We spend Saturday evening in Salisbury seeing a movie and going to the mall, and on Sunday we went to Annapolis. It was a very cute weekend and a great way to see the nice parts of Maryland.

Wednesday of the next week was the first warm day we'd had in school, so of course the kids were lighting fires so we could go outside (by "the kids," I mean one or two idiots). It was annoying, and then we got called in to the auditorium for a stern talking to. I hate these kinds of things...they make me feel awkward. I also feel bad for the kids who are not doing anything wrong but who get caught up in it anyway. Sigh.

Thursday and Friday were our sort of "art days." On Thursday we took kids to either the Hippodrome or the Walters Art Museum. I went to the Walters because Michelle and TR were chaperoning it and it was close to my house so I could walk home if I would be able to go pick up my car. On the bus on the way there, I thought to myself..."Three adults, average age 24, and 36 kids, average age 16.5, at an art museum. Good idea?" They did well, though, aside from our boring tour guide, and we made it out without destroying any ancient relics.
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
On Friday we had art workshops. I led one teaching the kids to knit - which was cute. I actually had a surprising number of boys who wanted to learn, and they turned out to be the best at it. I'm going to start a knitting club, and maybe a kid will even teach me to crochet.
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
That afternoon we had our official school naming ceremony and a "talent show," which was really a dance off, which was really inappropriate but so entertaining.

That night we had a "Red and Black Ball" in honor of our school naming. The kids always look so nice when they dress up, but this time they all matched too!
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
One thing I never thought I'd see my kids doing, though...line dancing. They played a song that I guess is called "Booty Call" which is like a hipper version of the Electric Slide...and then the Electric Slide itself (the woman in the center of the frame is my principal. Love her.). Hilarious.
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

No comments: