Sunday, May 20, 2007

Spring Break - Round 2

Take it from me – there is nothing quite like taking your own personal Spring Break in the middle of May to really get the end of the year off to a good start. Last Friday marked my final day of reliable good attendance and, consequently, my last day of true instruction. I stayed after school to finish grading and get things set up, went to a fantastic Cake concert at Pier 6 to celebrate, and by 2 o’clock Saturday, I was on my way to the Land of Enchantment.

It was an extremely busy week in Albuquerque. We went straight from the airport to Olive Garden for a Mother’s Day feast with my Gramy. It was extremely depressing – she has lost most of her memory, her teeth have gone bad, and she is very disoriented. She bears only a slight resemblance to the able busybody I lived with for 5 years. I wish I was in New Mexico so I could help care for her.

Mother’s Day festivities continued at Isleta Lakes for a fishing trip on Sunday. I caught the first fish, which was also the biggest (we later discovered a disgusting, smelly mass in it’s distended stomach – that could be why it was so huge. Ick.). I would have had 2 more fish, but my line kept breaking. My dad caught the most fish, and also the biggest variety. I get ½ credit for James’ fish – his pole would have gone in the water while he was napping if I hadn’t caught it, and then he would have lost the fish when his sinker got caught in a rock if I hadn’t reached in and gotten it. He repaid the favor by catching a fish on my line while I was in the little girls’ room. The guest of honor, my mom, did catch one whopper of a fish.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

On Monday, Mom and I went shopping, had lunch, and then worked together to sew a skirt. I then made her watch Heroes – not an easy show to follow if you’re not caught up – and House, which she enjoyed. Tuesday saw a frantic search for graduation cards and then the Honors Assembly at Sandia. I robed James, which is pretty much where the fun stopped for him. Not being much of a traditional academic, and being too stubborn to get along with the music department, James didn’t get any awards – not that he needs them to feel validated. It was good to hear the salutatorians and student body president speak, though, and be reassured that at least one school system is churning out kids who are ready for higher callings. Even the fact that they managed to make athletics stand out by awarding athletic honors last didn’t dampen my spirit.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

On Wednesday the long-awaited happened – my baby brother graduated from high school.
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
The ceremony was nice and as usual, the whole Scott clan (my mom’s side of the family) was in attendance. We were loud and obnoxious and so proud of James and I loved it. I think secretly he did too.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Thursday was another big family to-do. We went to the fabulous, top-rated Rio Grande Zoo with the kids for a short visit first (check out all the cool pictures I got!)

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

After that, we went out to Linda’s for a graduation hooplah. My cousin Seth, who just became a paramedic, James, Noah (Kindergarten grad) and I were the guests of honor, but everyone was there – even honorary family like C.C.. It was fantastic.

My graduation on Friday – Noah’s kindergarten graduation. He is the tallest kid in his class, and was the wigglyist on stage, but did a great job singing and reciting a Bible verse. We stayed for the reception and went out to Linda’s in the afternoon to help supervise the party she threw for the whole class – complete with inflatable bouncer, piñata, swings, trampoline, electric big wheels, water guns…you name it! Whew! I was tired.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

And then it was the end of the week, just like that, and James and I were on a flight back to Baltimore. With all that happened, would you believe that I missed LeslieAnn and Toni’s Birthday party on the first Saturday, and TJ’s fiancé Shawnah’s bridal shower on the next? I need a social planner to go visit home!

No comments: