Tuesday: Didn't suck. The kids started working on stoichiometry, which I pretty much flubbed on teaching and they're still confused. I brought my camera to school and got some good ones though. I've included one of Rashad and Teddy, two of my absolute favorite kids. I love them so much that if they weren't there I might quit.
Wednesday: Crap day from the start. It started to snow big, beautiful flakes right before 1st period, but didn't stick. The kids acted like morons all day. I had a kid removed from my 2nd period for laughing obscenely for about 5 minutes, ending with him standing in the doorway pointing at me and shreiking over and over again. The administration didn't do anything about it because he'd just come back from suspension and they didn't want to get rid of him again. I told him and them that he's suspended from MY class for 5 days. He's a really scummy kid. In third period one of my kids who used to be really good but has been obnoxious lately came in 15 minutes late with no pass, sat down, and interrupted teaching to start gossiping loudly with another girl. I put him out, and that led to me being cussed out rather extensively. Shortly after that, I told the girl who he had been talking to to stop talking, and got cussed out again. About 5 minutes later, my TFA program director showed up to do her observation. I was NOT happy about the whole mess. Fourth period the kid who cussed me out, David, got in a fight in the hall and got sent home on a conference letter.
Thursday: A better day. The kids took a practice HSA (standardized test) in the morning, and were pretty calm all the way around. There was a faculty-student basketball game in the afternoon, which I enjoyed immensely. The faculty won! HEre are a couple of pictures...Tony Ruby, my esteemed colleague, basking in the glory of the win, and Teyon, downed with defeat. I went to my meeting with Jen, which was exciting and very helpful, and then home to crash.
Friday: Large waste of time. We had an assembly 2nd period, which was awesome for me because I ditched it. I was called out of 1st period to meet with a parent, and that lasted until the assembly started. As soon as I got out, I ran into David (from Wednesday), whose mother was there to have him reinstated, and I talked to her for quite some time. She kept making weird allusions to "the situation between David and Ms. G," but I didn't ask at the time what exactly she was talking about. I think I'll do another post to say what I eventually found out...it deserves its own place of honor. Anyway, I had a very fun time hanging out in my room and wasting time while the kids were at the assembly.
That night, Matt and I went out with Tony, Tom, and Michelle for Thai food. I had an absolute blast. I can't say enough how thankful I am that I work with such fantastic people. This would be so much harder without them!!!
Saturday we went to dinner and then went duckpin bowling with Megan, Carla, Aya, and Matt's friend Taylor and his girlfriend Megan. Again, so much fun. Duckpin bowling, for the uninitiated, is like normal bowling except that the ball is only 4 pounds and closer to the size of a skeeball, and the pins are whittled down to about half the size. The highest score of any of the games we bowled was only a 96. It was fuuuuun! Now we head into 5 unbroken weeks of 5 day weeks. If I can live through this, I can do anything!
No comments:
Post a Comment