First of all, finals. My kids did poorly, as usual. I have a good idea - let's take kids who test poorly all around and make a 50 question multiple choice test worth 10% of their final grade in a class! It'll be a GREAT way to have their grades reflect their achievement! Anyone with me? Sadly, that's the city of Baltimore. I was pretty much required to give a very traditional test...so I just curved the crap out of it. My biggest frustration was with my 4th period, since none of them bothered to do the whole test. I gave a multiple choice part, and then they were supposed to re-take the diagnostic from the beginning of the year. That was just credit for doing it, and still ONLY TWO PEOPLE bothered. I was so mad at them....
Finals were supposed to be full days, but all of the kids left at lunch after the actual tests were done. I didn't expect that, so I was shocked on Tuesday when none of my kids showed up after lunch. Relieved and pleasantly surprised, but I didn't really know what to do with myself. I rounded up some of my little dweeb patrol and had them help me load boxes for donuts. After finals ended on Thursday, we only had a handful of kids again, so we got to goof around a little. I got my whole room packed up by Friday (while wearing a heart monitor...more on how I might be dying later), right before Tom and I found out from a kid and the front page of the Baltimore Sun that we're NOT actually moving next year. So that's cool. Two of the schools will be out of the building, and we should probably end up with the whole floor on the 3500 and 3600 levels, leaving me with an actual Chem lab. Here's hoping.
Other good events this week include Matt's Birthday on Thursday (we went out to Outback with friends from his lab, plus Megan, Sara, Brian, and Carl, and also Taylor and Megan). I got him so good with his presents...I am a crafty little girl, but I think he enjoyed my trickery. I was wearing the heart monitor (second mention bears explanation...I was having heart palpitations a couple of months ago and they're trying to figure out what's wrong with me) also, so that was fun to see people looking at me weird trying decide if I'm a freak. On Friday we went and saw Tom's big-boy house that he bought...he and Tony are quite the domestic gents, and their decorating sense is faboo. Saturday was a celebration of Aya's birthday, and quite a fun one at that! Paul
(who was a math teacher here before he decided it would be more fun to play with adults at Google) visited this weekend. It was a good time having him around. He came with us to Tom's house and we went out to Papermoon for bread pudding afterward. All of us went hiking on Saturday at this really neat place (has this great rock I think I'm going to go back to and work on my tan...), and then to Aya's party afterward. A pretty social weekend for us!
I was a little bit late for school on Monday, and got 4 calls from Keon on my cell phone before I got to work because he and Rashad had come to help me move out and were concerned that I wasn't going to show up. I ignored him, but got bombarded with criticism the minute I stepped out of my car. So those two helped me carry things out and helped Tom and Michelle do some chores. Then Keon and I watched Aladdin and Rashad harrassed Ms. Watkins (for a nice change of pace). For their reward, Michelle and I took the little dorklings out for Chinese food, where they cracked us up with their cuteness, trying to act like grown-ups on a double date. When we got back to school, they decided to leave, and we said our goodbyes. I gave them both a hug (which I have refused to do all year) and told them to be good and read something this summer. They left and I started to feel a little sad...and then they came back. Apparently they decided they didn't want to walk home, so they were going to wait for Rashad's grandmother to come get them. They hung out with me for the rest of the day, looking at pictures and being generally ridiculous. When it came time for them to actually leave, I was really sad. Rashad tried not to leave my room....he said "We'll never have another teacher like Ms. McCants." They did go, though...and that's pretty much where the year ended for me.
Monday night was our big faculty event...a dinner at Phillips in the harbor. It was mediocre food, and Dr. P sat with us...so not much fun at the table, but we went out for Happy Hour after and that was a good time. I can't believe we made it!
Today was just a formality. I showed up, turned in my keys, and then sat at my desk organizing things on my computer and writing emails all day. When 12:30 rolled around I walked out, closed my door for the last time, and drove home to start my SUMMER VACATION!
No comments:
Post a Comment