Monday, June 05, 2006

Rollercoaster!

One of my kids asked me today, "Why does everything get so boringat the end of the school year?" It's kind of sad...we have this really high-powered year, and and just as things are wrapping up, we all sort of give up. Students and teachers alike throw in the towel and hold their breath for the last day of school. This is what is happening to me right now...aided greatly by the weather.

I officially HATE humid climates. I realize that this limits the places I can end up significantly, but I will NOT live permanently in a place where sweat does not help. We had our first heat wave this week, and it was miserable. On Tuesday, the heat index was 90 before 11am, so we got sent home early. I got to be the bearer of excellent news, which prompted Jason, one of Tom's kids, to tell me I looked exceedingly beautiful...which made me giggle. We went for Chinese food (Michelle and I got lost because Tom gives bad directions) and then I cruised home to my apartment...dismayed to find that the air conditioner was still not installed. I rushed off to Hopkins to find some solace there.

Wednesday we went to King's Dominion (like Six Flags but owned by Paramount, outside of Richmond, VA) for an equally hot yet at least doubly exciting day of fun with the kiddos. I rode roller coasters, which is a huge step for me since I've only ever ridden one...the weanie one at Cliff's in Albuquerque. It was a blast. I came away beaming. I think we should definitely go on more trips. And, true to form, the last kid to roll up was only 10 minutes late...not too shabby! My favorite thing about this place, and also about Hershey Park, is that there are trees and greenery all around the rides. In NM it's all just dirt everywhere, or asphault...but there was gorgeous foresty plant life all over the place out here, and it makes the environment even more cheery. Here is my FIRST EVER upside-down roller coaster:

  Posted by Picasa

The rest of the week was spent in hot chaos. Probably similar to hell. My classroom was 91 degrees on Thursday, and they didn't send us home. The Juniors were gone on Friday, so I made arrangements to combine our homerooms to move us into the few airconditioned rooms on the inside of the building...making the students happy, and me too, since I got 3 extra prep periods. I got to hang out with my kiddos during 7th period too, because Ms. A was sort of a disaster and I didn't want them to trash Michelle's room. Marcus and Rashad spent the entire time criticizing my appearance, from the size of my nose to the flab on my arms to my ratty old shoes. This from the boy who proposes marraige daily. What an odd little cookie he is.

  Posted by Picasa

The air conditioner finally got installed in my apartment on Thursday, much to my relief. It did cool down on Friday night, so this week shouldn't totally suck. On Friday, Matt and I went to an Oriole's game (they played the Yankees and lost, but it was a close and enjoyable game), and witnessed a big accident afterward, so we stayed to help and take pictures for insurance, then to soothe the little boy who was in one of the cars. We got drenched in a torrential downpour, but it was kind of fun. Saturday was fun and festivities at Carl's place. Always a good time, bonding with the TFA folk. This was after watching a whole day's worth of reruns of the first season of America's Next Top Model and buying Matt's birthday present.

Now we go full-swing into the last week of school. Finals and then packing up and getting out. It's strange, but I am kind of sad that it's the end of the year. Trust me, I need a break...but I do dread the thought of getting NEW kids next year. I may despise mine sometimes, but at least I know them already. I hope that I get my favorites back at the school next year, at least. Wish me luck...5.5 school days remaining....

1 comment:

Malnurtured Snay said...

Yeah, "sweltering" not the word to describe it, but tonight was just so beautiful!