Sunday, April 09, 2006

Born Again

I think I might have been Born Again on the plane on the way home. I'm not sure though.

As I was getting on the plane, I was right behind this little Korean lady with a thick accent who was either unaccustomed to air travel or was one of those people who talks to everyone. Imagine my dismay when I discovered I was sitting in the same row as her! After some disagreement over which of us was assigned the window seat we sat down. It was evident that the only thing that could save me was whoever sat between us.

Enter Mike, a very nice young man about my age. He sat down and she started talking to him, so I put on my headphones. When I turned them off for takeoff, he started talking to me, asking if I was from Baltimore and all that. Turns out he's from a small town in NM and he is stationed in Maryland in the army, and went to UNM and was on his way back to visit his fiance. I might have found out more, but this crazy woman interrupts us to tell us that she loves us. That's right. She then proceeds to tell us all about how her aunt just died and you never know when you might go and every day is a gift and the whole nine yards. Leading up to...you guessed it. "Guess what. God so loved the world that he sent his only son..."

We got the evangelism talk for about 45 minutes, ending in her making us pray with her, repeating everything after her (at least as much as we could understand with her thick accent). She then wrote down her pastor's web address and our new "born again" birthdays in these little "What it means to be born again" booklets. I am thankful that Mike was a really polite, respectable guy, because he only shot me the "is this really happening?" look about twice....otherwise I would have died laughing.

I guess when you sit next to crazy people on the plane, you run the risk of having your soul saved.

No comments: